Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Gold Watch, Platinum Song

My goodness this song's amazing. This is why I love hip hop. This is why I think Lupe Fiasco is one of the best MCs ever, and this is why I love his album, The Cool. The beats are hot, the songs are catchy and the messages are deep. This song is proof positive that hip hop is more than just love-starved socialites, drugs, sex, lies, video tape, wealth, murderin enemies, makin it out the ghetto or the "N" word...

Actually, this song may just be all that...

...but it's not.

Reader, do yourself a favor. Play the song, read the lyrics, go buy his album, listen to the rest of the tracks and walk away enlightened.

...or at least a bit more cool.



[Intro: x2 ]
Let's peruse the essential of cool
A brief study of the things so instrumental to Lu
That make me feel flyer than lobbies of W's
A disclaimer just a rhymer
no credentials from a school now

[ Lupe Fiasco: ]
In my Fall of Rome jeans, my Head Porter wallet
My Neighborhood shirt and my Eddie Chen CLOT shit
My not go to college but my street smart polished
Like the black finger nails of
that punk rock logic
Do the knowledge, man you can't
be punked from projects
Firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise
Was trading off my comics I was
taking them to school
One of Jay-z boys now I'm skatin in your pools
Not to be rude I'm just hatin on your rules
Like a young 50 I'm on my world tour
Good morning Singapore I'm
bringing the sun with me
From the Robert Taylor Homes
to African slum cities
I am American mentally with Japanese tendencies
Parisian sensibilities so
stay out the vicinity of

[ Bridge: ]
Yea, yea them niggas over there
It's just, yea, yea now look at what I wear

[ Chorus: ]
Got my gold watch
And my gold chain
With my fancy car
And my diamond ring
With my fancy broad
And she's for-eign
So it's no words
And it's no slang
And I'm no trick
And I'm no lame
It's just so sick
That she so game [ x4 ]
It's just yea, yea she loves it over here

[ Lupe Fiasco: ]
I like Diptyque candles and Maharishi sandals
And Dita sunglasses and purple
murder service samples
I like False t-shirts
Devil Street is off the handle
Such a good designer Junya Watanabe god damn you
I like Yohji Yamamoto and a Max Roach solo
Leather Gucci belts and Guilty Brotherhood polos
I like Mont Blanc pens and Moleskine paper
I like Goyard bags and green Now-n-Laters
Monocle magazines and Japanese manga
Futura Nosferatu and HTM trainers
I love Street Fighter 2 I just really hate Zangief
only Ken and Ryu I find it hard to beat Blanca
I keep a wii ninja hanging and a
Unkle album banging
If you negative in energy then stay out the vicinity of...

[ Bridge: ]
Yea, yea them niggas over there
It's just, yea, yea now look at what I wear

[ Chorus: ]
Got my gold watch
And my gold chain
With my fancy car
And my diamond ring
With my ghetto broad
And she so plain
Gotta couple SCARS
And one of those long names
And she fight a nigga
And cusses wit no shame
And her ex-man had her baggin up cocaine But she.. [ x4 ]
It's just yea, yea she loves it over here

And my most coveted thing is my high self-esteem
And the low tolerance for them
tellin me how to lean
See the most important parts are
the ones that are unseen
See the wings don't make you fly and
the crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't
too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay
out of the vicinity of...

Yea, Yea the niggas over there
Yea, Yea now look at what I wear

[Repeat Chorus ]

Lyrics taken from www.mp3lyrics.org
Visit Lupe's blog here

No comments: