Monday, May 26, 2008

Pass The Chips

What do you get when you combine 1 girl, 7 guys, buckets of chips and one incredibly cute puppy? Why, a night of poker of course. Now, poker for me is one of those things that I do "when in Rome." I'm not usually a betting man, I'd feel more emotion losing ten bucks than gaining a hundred, and last night was no exception. I am somewhat familiar with the rules, and I know how the flow of the game usually goes, but the truth is, I've only played a real round of poker once before, so I'm still pretty green when it comes to the game. However, I am pretty confident in what I knew so I decided to give it a shot. I was also banking on beginner's luck showing her pure white smile on my corner.

Even though there was one girl present that night, it was still pretty much a sausage fest. Everyone playing at the table was a dude. Yes, even the dog that was scampering around our feet was a male. The game was no-limit Texas Hold'em. It was a five dollar buy-in that night and me being the broke fool that I am, my friend volunteered to spot me so I could get in on the action. I wasn't planning on playing that night, seriously I'm not a betting man, but how could I say no to the puppy eyes of my human friend Louie? So, I took my seat, the chips were passed out and before long the first hands were dealt. We played for a few hours before I had to call it a night. It was tough to walk away, I was actually ahead on the chip count with only two other guys fighting for the winner position. But, I had a pretty early tennis match in the morning. Plus, I was playing on borrowed chips anyway, so it wasn't like I was gonna lose anything by quitting. Yeah, lady luck has a sick sense of humor that way...

Though, I did enjoy the way she stacked my chips.

I wish I could've seen the end of it all, but congrats to Irv for being the big winner that night.

Honestly, I was really happy hangin out with those guys. I feel like its been so long since I've had company that good, and the timing of it couldn't have been any better. So, this post goes out to Elaine, Mark, Phil, Irv, Louie, Zab, Pat and Lovie for the laughs.

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

1 comment:

VJM said...

i'm so mad you said sausage fest!!!

(at least you didn't say pork swords..)